Vice President of Sustainability- Global Gold Development Co
Vice President of Sustainability
The Mining Recruitment Group Ltd has been retained by an advanced exploration and development company that is looking to augment their team by adding an experienced Vice President of Sustainability to their ranks.
Our Client is aggressively developing their flagship project and this will be a key role for them as they move towards construction.
This position is responsible for the overall creation, development, and maintenance of an effective Sustainability Department for the organization and its projects, encompassing permitting/regulatory and health/safety/environmental/social aspects. The VP Sustainability will develop, administer and oversee all policies, procedures and practices for the Sustainability Department. This role will focus on developing initiatives by integrating sustainability into corporate policies/projects and strategies, cost effectively and in line with best international industry practices for sustainability. Ensuring successful outcomes for the company, stakeholders and for the community working towards successful sustainability outcomes.
The Vice President of Sustainability will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will work closely with the senior management team including the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial Officer, the VP Project Director and the VP General Manager.
- Work as part of the team to Construct the project safely, on time, within budget and in accordance with best international industry practices
- Act as key expert and point of contact for sustainability issues (legal, regulatory, HSE, etc.)
- Establish/Implement short and long range sustainability goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Build effective working relationships with all stakeholders including regulatory bodies, government groups, civil society, local communities and the general public to enhance the company’s reputation and manage any risks
- Develop periodic sustainability plans and ensure that local hiring & procurement, livelihood restoration, capacity building and biodiversity targets are achieved
- Design, deliver, and administer site/corporate sustainability strategies – determine resource requirements for the Project and the most appropriate method of accessing the necessary specialist technical skills and expertise, engaging and managing contractors as appropriate
- Manage compliance, regulatory matters, and governance having to do with environmental systems, processes, reporting, and policies
- Identify potential environmental risks/impacts and develop action plans to mitigate in line with the mitigation hierarchy
- Deliver an effective and efficient sustainability service to all areas of the Company – ensure that all key aspects of the multi-disciplinary environmental studies are communicated to the construction and operating teams, and that construction and operating activities comply with commitments made in the ESIA
- Maintain compliance with corporate values, Code of Conduct, corporate sustainability
- Strong knowledge of sustainability theories and practices
- Able to take a pro-active role in sustainability (EHS) leadership and management requirements for the diverse areas/operations of the Company – effective in advising senior management on sustainability issues and strategy
- Understanding the business implications of various strategies required for sustainability and how environmental processes/systems are tools to help facilitate the implementation of these effectively and efficiently
- Must have strong communication, leadership and management skills, in addition to excellent customer service skills
- Significant experience of managing multi-disciplinary scientific investigations focused on supporting the development of large scale projects which are socially and environmentally sound as well as safe to construct and operate
- Experience with project development and a successful track record integrating multi-disciplinary findings into project designs and construction activities
- Effective in problem solving and managing conflict situations
- Self-directed and self-motivated, demonstrating initiative to do more than is expected or required in the position with the desire and capability to progress within the organization
- Identify, communicate, and manage change effectively and on the appropriate level
- Proven track record of effective teamwork, organisational development and leadership
Skills and qualifications required:
- Bachelors Degree Earth/Environmental/Sustainability/Sciences preferred
- Strong working knowledge of all sustainability and EHS regulatory mandates and requirements within mining and processing operations
- Solid understanding site-based environmental experience
- Proven track record of delivering a sustainability strategy within a high risk industry (mining experience necessary)
- Must understand how the technical aspects of mining influence the business aspects leading to good business decisions
- Must have a track record of success in a similar sustainability/environmental management role at increasing levels of responsibility
- The ability to recruit staff and monitor performance
If you match this description and have kept reading, I implore you to get in touch and I will personally buy you a beer: email@example.com . Candidate must be available for significant travel and/or able to consider relocation. Expats are encouraged to apply.
Please note that due to the number of applications we receive, only those selected for initial interviews will be contacted.
Signup to have our weekly MRG Mining Minute Newsletter, which tracks executive and board changes from across the Canadian Mining sector and highlights our current featured searches delivered straight to your inbox.