Vice President of Mining, Coal
Large-Cap Diversified Energy Producer
The Mining Recruitment Group is a boutique executive search firm focused exclusively on the unique requirements of the mining industry.
We are currently seeking applications on behalf of our client, a large-cap diversified energy company with operations throughout North America that is actively looking to recruit a VP Mining to oversee coal production at their well established mine in Alberta.
This position oversees the Mining practice for our Client and reports to the EVP Operations as well as to the Mining Advisory Board. The successful candidate will be based at their mine and is accountable for the safe, efficient and cost effective operation of the mine in Alberta and to ensure coal at the required quality is delivered to meet the production plans of the power plants consistent with their asset strategy.
The successful candidate will participate as a key member of our Client’s executive team and will lead the Company¹s Mining efforts, providing leadership to the Company¹s mining operational team. The successful candidate will have no less than fifteen to twenty years of progressive experience overseeing mine operations.
This position will require the ability to work closely and collaboratively with a number of groups, both internal and external, including third party consultants, suppliers of goods and services, regulators, members of local communities, contractors and employees.
- Ensure strategy, management decisions, systems and processes are founded on best practice environment and community requirements.
- Integrates the functional and support teams, and aligns the objectives, goals and actions to achieve the required results for the Alberta Mine’s annual and long range plans consistent with corporate objectives and priorities.
- Coordinates the long range strategy, and collaborates with corporate groups and other externals stakeholders to ensure that an economic supply of coal is sustained over the life of the mines.
- Champions both safety and productivity to ensure first a safe workplace exists; and further that work is carried out efficiently with the cost base spread out over high volume to reduce unit costs of production. Actively seeks out innovation and technology to continuously improve mine performance
- Must have strong commercial strategy and execution experience
- Full P&L acountabilities
- Motivate direct reports, towards superior performance by supporting daily performance, facilitating consistent communication and providing ongoing coaching, mentoring, training and development.
- Coach staff on leadership skills as well as the technical aspect of project delivery. Ensure full client satisfaction; develop sustainable, recurring and strategic new business within the region.
- Manage the performance of the Mine to agreed strategies, budget and in compliance with agreed policies, procedures and commitments.
- Complete the business planning cycle, including monthly forecasting, with the development of strategic plans, budgets and operational plans.
- Analyze and report on trends, issues and opportunities at the Mine and their implications for the strategies to enhance our Client’s business.
- Implement and manage strategic initiatives, policies and business procedures and provide overall direction to the regions / business units.
- Manage a safe working environment for all personnel and people associated with our Client. Ensures adherence to safety management plans and that a safe workplace exists for all employees, contractors, and visitors to the mines
- Ensures that environmental management plans are in place and are followed to ensure mining is carried out in a responsible and sustainable manner
- Reviews the mines annual budget to validate that metrics and results are achievable
- Manages the capital, operating and production budgets effectively to minimize cash costs and to achieve top quartile unit costs of production
- Develop goals, objectives, report cards and KPI’s that will both measure and achieve top quartile performance of the draglines and truck shovel fleets. Verify performance through benchmarking
- Implement’s process and technology improvements to improve upon current performance levels
The successful applicant will have a background in mining operations with 15+ years of experience in operations management positions. The Incumbent will have a storied background in overseeing large, multi-pit operations with workforces in excess of 500 people and will ideally have a background in Coal.
Please note, that due to the number of applications we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.